Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Like a Car with a New Set of Radials...

 When I started working way back when, retirement seemed like a far away dream.  I got my first paycheck in the summer of 1969, when I started working as a parking lot attendant at the Abraham & Straus department store in Hempstead. That was my part-time job through college and even for a few years after I started working at DC Comics.
  From the summer of 1973 through the fall of 1998, I worked at DC, starting as an editorial assistant and ending as Executive Director of Production.
  Then I worked in the accounting department at Preload, a company that builds massive concrete water tanks and reservoirs around the country and followed that with a brief stint with Accordant, the company that provides installation and service for the Timberline (now Sage 300) accounting software program.
  Since January 2007, I've been the Comptroller at Combined Resources Interiors, a company that does drywall and carpentry work on commercial projects such as hospitals, schools and office buildings.
  After all that, as of the end of the work day today, I'm retired.

  Well, not fully retired.
  I'll still be teaching the Writing & Imagination class at CTY.
  I'll still be the "guy in charge" of the thrice-weekly adult ed volleyball program.
  I'll be volunteering my services as a Notary Public at the Farmingdale Library on a weekly basis.
  And I've got some other projects to pursue, now that I'll have the time for them.

  For right now, though, I'm looking forward to not having to get up and go to work every day.

This giant poster was hanging on the wall outside my office when I got to work this morning.

1 comment:

  1. You have brought so much happiness into the world of comic book fans! Thank you, and here's to a long, happy and fulfilling retirement!

    ReplyDelete